1. Bartlett JG. Clinical practice. Antibiotic-associated diarrhea. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 334–9.
2. Wistrom J, Norrby SR, Myhre EB, et al. Frequency of antibiotic-associated diarrhea in 2462 antibiotic-treated hospitalized patients: a prospective study. J Antimicrob Chemother 2001; 47: 43–50.
3. Cote GA, Buchman AL. Antibiotic-associated diarrhea. Expert Opin Drug Saf 2006; 5: 361–72.
4. Alam S, Mushtaq M. Antibiotic-associated diarrhea in children. Indian Pediatr 2009; 46: 491–6.
5. McFarland LV. Meta-analysis of probiotics for the prevention of antibiotic associated diarrhea and the treatment of Clostridium difficile disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2006; 101:812–22.
6. Hill C, Guarner F, Reid G, et al. Expert consensus document. The International Scientific Association for probiotics and prebiotics consensus statement on the scope and appropriate use of the term probiotic. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2014; 11: 506–14.
7. Szajewska H, Mrukowicz J. Metaanalysis: non-pathogenic yeast Saccharomyces boulardii in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005; 22: 365–72.
8. Higgins JPT, Green S (eds). Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available at: http://www.cochrane-handbook.org
9. Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG; The PRISMA Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. PLoS Med 2009; 6: e1000097.
10. Schunemann H, Brozek J, Guyatt G, Oxman A (eds). GRADE handbook for grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. Updated October 2013. The GRADE Working Group, 2013. Available at: http://www.guidelinedevelopment.org/handbook.
11. Guyatt GH, Oxman AD, Kunz R, et al. GRADE guidelines: 2. Framing the question and deciding on important outcomes. J Clin Epidemiol 2011; 64: 395–400.
12. Egger M, Smith GD, Schneider M, Minder C. Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. Br Med J 1997; 315: 629–34.
13. Kotowska M, Albrecht P, Szajewska H. Saccharomyces boulardii in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea in children: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005; 21: 583–90.
14. Adam J, Barret A, Barret-Bellet C. Essais cliniques controles en double insu de l'ultra-levure lyophilisee: etude multicentrique par 25 medicins de 388 cas. Gaz Med Fr 1977; 84: 2072–8.
15. Surawicz CM, Elmer GW, Speelman P, McFarland LV, Chinn J, van Belle G. Prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea by Saccharomyces boulardii: a prospective study. Gastroenterology 1989; 96: 981–8.
16. Lewis SJ, Potts LF, Barry RE. The lack of therapeutic effect of Saccharomyces boulardii in the prevention of antibiotic-related diarrhoea in elderly patients. J Infect 1998; 36: 171–4.
17. McFarland LV, Surawicz CM, Greenberg RN, et al. Prevention of beta-lactam-associated diarrhea by Saccharomyces boulardii compared with placebo. Am J Gastroenterol 1995; 90: 439–48.
18. Zhao HM, Ou-Yang HJ, Duan BP, et al. Clinical effect of triple therapy combined with Saccharomyces boulardii in the treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection in children. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi 2014; 16: 230–3 Chinese.
19. Monteiro E, Fernandes JP, Vieira MR, et al. Double blind clinical trial on the use of ultra-levure in the prophylaxis of antibiotic induced gastro-intestinal and mucocutaneous disorders. Acta Med Port 1981; 3: 143–5.
20. Bravo MV, Bunout D, Leiva L, et al. Effect of probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii on prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea in adult outpatients with amoxicillin treatment]. Rev Med Chil 2008; 136: 981–8. Spanish.
21. Can M, Bes¸irbellioglu BA, Avci IY, Beker CM, Pahsa A. Prophylactic Saccharomyces boulardii in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea. Med Sci Monit 2006; 12: PI19–22.
22. Casem RAO. Saccharomyces boulardii in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea in children: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatr Infect Dis Soc Philipp J 2013; 14: 70–6.
23. Erdeve O, Tiras U, Dallar Y. The probiotic effect of Saccharomyces boulardii in a pediatric age group. J Trop Pediatr 2004; 50: 234–6.
24. Pozzoni P, Riva A, Bellatorre AG, et al. Saccharomyces boulardii for the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea in adult hospitalized patients: a single-center, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Gastroenterol 2012; 107: 922–31.
25. Shan LS, Hou P, Wang ZJ, et al. Prevention and treatment of diarrhea with Saccharomyces boulardii in children with acute lower respiratory tract infections. Benef Microbes 2013; 4: 329–34.
26. Chu Y, Zhu H, Zhou Y, Lv L, Hu J. Intervention study on Saccharomyces boulardii with proton pump inhibitor (PPI)-based triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori related peptic ulcer. African J Pharm Pharmacol 2012; 6: 2900–4.
27. Cindoruk M, Erkan G, Karakan T, Dursun A, Unal S. Efficacy and safety of Saccharomyces boulardii in the 14-day triple anti-Helicobacter pylori therapy: a prospective randomized placebo-controlled double-blind study. Helicobacter 2007; 12: 309–16.
28. Cremonini F, di Caro S, Covino M, et al. Effect of different probiotic preparations on anti-Helicobacter pylori therapy-related side effects: a parallel group, triple blind, placebo-controlled study. Am J Gastroenterol 2002; 97: 2744–9.
29. Duman DG, Bor S, Ozutemiz O, et al. Eficacy and safety of Saccharomyces boulardii in prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea due to Helicobacter pylori eradication. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 17: 1357–61.
30. Kyriakos N, Papamichael K, Roussos A, et al. A lyophilized form of Saccharomyces boulardii enhances the Helicobacter pylori eradication rates of omeprazole-triple therapy in patients with peptic ulcer disease or functional dyspepsia. Hospital Chronicles 2013; 8: 1–7.
31. Song MJ, Park DI, Park JH, et al. The effect of probiotics and mucoprotective agents on PPI-based triple therapy for eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Helicobacter 2010; 15: 206–13.
32. Bin Z, Ya-Zheng X, Zhao-Hui D, Bo C, Li-Rong J, Vandenplas Y. The efficacy of Saccharomyces boulardii CNCM I-745 in addition to standard Helicobacter pylori eradication treatment in children. Pediatr Gastroenterol Hepatol Nutr 2015; 18: 17–22.
33. Zojaji H, Ghobakhlou M, Rajabalinia H, et al. The efficacy and safety of adding the probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii to standard triple therapy for eradication of H. pylori: a randomized controlled trial. Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench 2013; 6(Suppl. 1): S99–104.
34. McFarland LV. Systematic review and meta-analysis of Saccharomyces boulardii in adult patients. World J Gastroenterol 2010; 16: 2202–22.
35. Kelesidis T, Pothoulakis C. Efficacy and safety of the probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii for the prevention and therapy of gastrointestinal disorders. Therap Adv Gastroenterol 2012; 5: 111–25.
36. Castagliuolo I, Riegler MF, Valenick L, LaMont JT, Pothoulakis C. Saccharomyces boulardii protease inhibits the effects of Clostridium difficile toxins A and B in human colonic mucosa. Infect Immun 1999; 67: 302–7.
37. Qamar A, Aboudola A, Warny M, et al. Saccharomyces boulardii stimulates intestinal immunoglobulin A immune response to Clostridium difficile toxin A in mice. Infect Immun 2001; 69: 2762–5.
38. Chen X, Kokkotou EG, Mustafa N, et al. Saccharomyces boulardii inhibits ERK1/2 mitogen-activated protein kinase activation both in vitro and in vivo and protects against Clostridium difficile toxin A-induced enteritis. J Biol Chem 2006; 281:24449–54.
39. Tasteyre A, Barc MC, Karjalainen T, et al. Inhibition of in vitro cell adherence of Clostridium difficile by Saccharomyces boulardii. Microbiol Pathogens 2002; 32: 219–25.
40. Pothoulakis C, Kelly CP, Joshi MA, et al. Saccharomyces boulardii inhibits Clostridium difficile toxin A binding and enterotoxicity in rat ileum. Gastroenterology 1993; 104: 1108–15.
41. Goldenberg JZ, Ma SS, Saxton JD, et al. Probiotics for the prevention of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in adults and children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; 5: CD006095.
42. Hempel S, Newberry SJ, Maher AR, Wang Z, Miles JN, Shanman R, et al. Probiotics for the prevention and treatment of antibiotic-associated diarrhea: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2012; 307: 1959–69.
43. Pattani R, Palda VA, Hwang SW, Shah PS. Probiotics for the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea and Clostridium difficile infection among hospitalized patients: systematic review and meta-analysis. Open Med 2013; 7: e56–67.
44. McFarland LV. Deciphering meta-analytic results: a mini review of probiotics for the prevention of pediatric antibiotic-associated diarrhea and Clostridium difficile infections. Benef Microbes 2015; 6: 189–94.
45. Bavishi C, Dupont HL. Systematic review: the use of proton pump inhibitors and increased susceptibility to enteric infection. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2011; 34: 1269–81.
46. Eom CS, Jeon CY, Lim JW, Cho EG, Park SM, Lee KS. Use of acid suppressive drugs and risk of pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. CMAJ 2011; 183: 310–9.
47. Whelan K, Myers CE. Safety of probiotics in patients receiving nutritional support: a systematic review of case reports, randomized controlled trials, and nonrandomized trials. Am J Clin Nutr 2010; 91: 687–703.
48. Gao XW, Mubasher M, Fang CY, Reifer C, Miller LE. Dose-response efficacy of a proprietary probiotic formula of Lactobacillus acidophilus CL1285 and Lactobacillus casei LBC80R for antibiotic-associated diarrhea and Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea prophylaxis in adult patients. Am J Gastroenterol 2010; 105: 1636–41